Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 1003 - TermService Message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogi

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Hi

I'm getting the following:-

The description for Event ID ( 1003 ) in Source ( TermService ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): .

Can anybody help me ascertain what the error is, means and how to fix it?

Cheers,
Ogi

Thanks, chjcomit - I was not aware of that site! Awesome! - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

I was wondering if OGI found an answer to this problem? I went to and I did not see an answer to this problem there. I have recently been receiving this message on my MetaFrame server. I cannot find anything on it on my TechNet CD's so thought I would check here. Please advise!

Margie (mluttrell@hayes-lemmerz.com)

Hi,

No, I've not found a suitable answer to this problem, but if I do, I'll post a message here!

Cheers,
Ogi.

EventID.net points to a Microsoft article (Q294326), which leads you to an unpublished hotfix which will fix the problem. According to them: "A corrupted or invalid license is being supplied by the client when it connects to the Terminal Server-based server".

Our event logs were filling up with 1003 errors. I applied the fix and it cleared right up!

Hope this helps :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Hi, had a look on thinnet re. this message as its something that is affecting our servers too, one of the replies to this problem stated that the user had recieved a "patch" from thinnet forums to sort it but he never elaborated so I dont know where or what this was....???? Another user replied saying that he sorted it by applying a local licence count of one to the server...??? I dont know if this means a "per seat" or "per server" licence...??? Not had time to try this yet and I'm not sure if its possible to "mix" between the two....???

Hope this helps.

Event ID 1003: Terminal Service Client Has Provided an Invalid License

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 4.0, 4.0 SP6, Terminal Server

Edition

SYMPTOMS

A Windows NT-based server that is running Terminal Server may log the following error in the System event log:

Event ID: 1003

Source: TermService

Type: Information

The terminal service client has provided an invalid license.

CAUSE

A corrupted or invalid license is being supplied by the client when

it connects to the Terminal Server-based server. The event log does

not specify the client computer that provided the invalid license.

One way to determine which client supplied the invalid license is to

audit Logon and Logoff events, and then compare the System event log and the Security event log.

This problem does not occur in later versions of Windows NT. In

Microsoft Windows 2000, the client computer name is specified in the

event log.

RESOLUTION

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only

intended to correct the problem described in this article and should

be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem. This

fix may receive additional testing at a later time, to further ensure

product quality. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this

problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition, service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product

Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft

Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are normally incurred for

support calls may be canceled, if a Microsoft Support Professional

determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. Normal

support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues

that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file

attributes or later:

Date Time Size File name Platform

--------------------------------------------------

04/26/2001 04:45 PM 62,224 Icaapi.dll Intel

NOTE: Because of file dependencies, this hotfix requires Microsoft

Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a (SP6a).

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft

products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Additional query words:

Keywords : kbWinNT400PreSP7Fix

Issue type : kbbug

Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS400sp6

kbWinNTS400xsearch kbNTTermServSearch kbExchange400

Hi,

Sorry to drag you all down the wrong track :)

But my problem is with W2K not NT4 :)

Cheers for all your help so far though,
Ogi.

The original Event ID 1003 in this thread had a description of "The description for Event ID ( 1003 ) in Source ( TermService ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s):"

EventID.net provides a fix for the description "Terminal Service Client Has Provided an Invalid License" as well as the reference in the Microsoft article "Q294326". Event though OGI is using Windows 2000, we also have this same issue using TSE40 w/sp6.

Wish we could locate a solution also to this. Thanks.

Voyager1 (Bill)

I was wondering how you got a hold of that fix because i am having similar problems with the termserv 1003 error, could you tell me where you got it

It would really help alot

thanks

Kris

I have a similar problem to OGI,

The description for Event ID ( 1003 ) in Source ( TermService ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s).

I read some of the messages and most refer to licensing, but this EventID has no reference to license's.

Any help appreciated,

Bomber

Did anyone get the updated Icaapi.dll file and try it...??? Did it work....????

Hi,

I am also looking for this file. Can anyone email it?

Thanks

David

As Bomberrile states, the Event ID 1003 that I'm getting does not refer to any licensing. Is the hotfix just for a corrupted license or does it fix the original problem which is:

The description for Event ID ( 1003 ) in Source ( TermService ) could
not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s).

Also, what is the icaapi.dll file supposed to fix?

Margie

Microsoft's solution in Q294326 states that an update to Icaapi.dll will fix the Event Id 1003 problem (for the Terminal Service client has provided an invalid license message).....I'm not sure if "the insertion string could not be found" message is related...???

see Herne42's post in this thread for the full Microsoft description re the license message.......

Has anyone managed to get a hold of the updated dll and tried it....??? Did it work....???

I was getting the same message for the longest time. It stopped this message from coming back and so far I am having no problems, not sure if it is going to cause any future problems.
So, if I did something stupid please let me know. Thanks

That file is in this fix on Microsoft - Q307454.

Have you tried to delete the registry key MSLicensing on the client PC? This should fix the problem.
Secondly, make sure you have a licensing server running and your TS can see it. If AD is not in place you may need to force the LS name in the TS registry. Described in the TechNet KB. Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP
Windows 2000/NT Server - Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back