Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurgen36

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
AU
I received a Windows 7 beta version DVD from Microsoft. The installation on a spare drive was without any problem at all. The OS did find and installed all my drivers including my Raid drivers, printer, video drivers, scanner drivers etc. I was pleasantly surprised how well and smooth the installation was compared to a Vista or XP version. I never have been a Windows fan but it looks that for the first time Microsoft seems to have it done the proper way. I also installed Windows 7 on a 32 GB CF drive. Again no problems. The installation of Office 2003 also went without any problem. So all I can say " Well done MS "
Regards

Jurgen

Don't worry. MS will surely invent a novel way to screw it all before the commercial version is made available.

Good luck,
Engin

There is a Windows 7 forum

forum1726

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

I am also hearing good things about Windows 7 and need to try it out for myself. Lets hope that when the final release comes out that legislation, licensing and copywright haven't taken away the best ellements (As in.. skinny latté version) of what looks like it is going to be a very good OS.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

They are almost at the download cap Martin, so if you are thinking about tying out the Beta it is best that you get it sooner rather than later.
@Jurgen- I’m glad you are enjoying the Windows 7 Beta.
Cheers,
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

If windows 7 receives same reception as vista, will windows 8 be far behind - or will they give up trying to force o/s upgrades on us every few years?!

Jeff,

Which download cap are you referring to? According to every article I've read, the 2.5 million download cap has been lifted, and Windows 7 will continue to be available to the general public. Maybe it's just me, but if you're going to post as a rep from MS then I would like to see a last name...

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula said:
Maybe it's just me, but if you're going to post as a rep from MS then I would like to see a last name...

I agree.

GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

Windows 7 has a definite download end date, but the 2.5 million cap has been lifted. Better get your copy soon:

February 10th, new downloads of the Windows 7 Beta will no longer be available.
February 12th, people will no longer be able to complete their download of the Windows 7 Beta

Source:

From the above link:

MSDN and TechNet Subscribers will continue to have access to the Windows 7 Beta bits throughout the Windows 7 Beta phase. The above dates do not apply to MSDN and TechNet Subscribers.

I believe all it takes to join either is an email address. I'm a TechNet subscriber, but not MSDN.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Technet & MSDN are paid subscription services, though much of the web content is available to the public.

Correct, TechNet and MSDN are subscription services. The least expensive MSDN option used to be around $1400/year. The Technet+ subscription is (I believe) $400 for the first year, and then $300 a year after that. Or maybe it was $300/$200. Either way it's a bargain if you do a lot of testing with Microsoft software.

MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Ive done a fresh install of windows 7 which was lovely and nice and quick!

But has anyone tried an upgrade from vista to 7?

fresh install was about 20 mins, upgrade took about 3 hours and was painfully slow after the install as well.

Luke

I tried a vista -> windows 7 upgrade, but it failed, as I had moved the location of users data to D:, and hacked the registry to make sure that any new users used the same area.

Will try it on a new install basis once I have a spare machine (possibly later this week).

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

I installed this on a VM, on my XP laptop. It works very nice IMO.

Agreed on the "novel way of screwing it up"!

LOL

For now, the stripped down version seems to work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back