Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

European hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydays

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am well aware that if you want to promote a UK website, then you host on a UK server, rather than a US server.

However, I have a friend who will be having a .com domain who wants to target mainland Europe - specifically France, Spain and Germany. Can anyone advise me where we should look for hosting that will make sure SEO will have the greatest effect?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi, I don't see what difference it makes where your website is hosted. How will people know anyway unless they do a whois search on the site? If you have a .com address then host wherever you want, it'll make no difference IMHO.

Could you be confusing this issue with having local TLDs? For example, targetting business in France you could try to get a .fr address.

cian, I think search engines are quite sophisticated these days at determining the physical location of IP addresses and using it to inform their searches - so if you limit a search on google.co.uk to UK sites only, you'll still get ones that choose to be .com instead of .co.uk . I agree server location will make little difference to end-users.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

I didn't realise that Chris, i'm a little behind the times :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back