Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Europe VS U.S.A Xp Operating System??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoTons

Technical User
Mar 11, 2006
US
Is their any difference in the operating system??? Or if I take a U.S copy and set it up for European would that be the same operating system?? We developed a program to run on a Windows XP based operating system. Works fine in the U.S but when they start using it in Europe and other countries they are having different errors, then we are seeing here.

I think Microsoft has licensing issues in Europe. I seem to remember the EU made some demands from Microsoft about their operating system that are different from the US and I think it might be illegal (or at least against Microsoft's EULA) to send it over to Europe.

I didn't find anything specific on MS's website but I'd research it a bit more. I mean I suppose you could send it and it should work. At the core level there isn't much difference.

Cheers
Rob

I think MS had to remove certain programs from the OS. Media Player sort of comes to mind.

What kind of errors are they getting???? Could be as simple as how dates are being handle or currency. If this is the case, your program will need to take into account the way different countries handle dates and time, etc. Try developing for whatever region your program is going to be used in.

OK, at least in the UK, the version of XP we get is exactly the same as the ones sold in the USA.

TECHNICALLY, in Europe, you're meant to be able to buy two different versions of XP Home or Pro - the normal one, or the "N" one, that comes without WMP. But in reality, hardly anyone buys them because it's pointless, and also because I'm betting you can only buy them from online stores.

The errors are probably from different LANGUAGE versions of XP, not from the fact they are European. The only thing about the USA versions of XP and Vista that is different is that they are a lot cheaper than the European ones :(

I agree with Ploper, my father-in-law's XP Home CD in Holland is the same CD as mine.

Someone had installed his OS in Dutch and he can read and understand the computer better in English (after 50 years in USA) but I could not "fix it" for him without a complete re-install or his buying an international version that support multiple languages. He did not think it was worth a re-install.

Don Phillips

What programming language is your app developed with?
I suggest you identify specific errors and re-present your problems in a language based forum.

If for example the app is developed in vb6 and it makes use of the Val function, you may expect problems in an environment where Windows Regional Settings specify a character other than '.' as the decimal seperator.

HTH Hugh,

'True' and 'False' are also different on non-English systems

Thank you all very much for your replies. The langue issue is not smart in our software we just use a table then you substitute your word for ours. The problem was the Data but they think they have that figured out. I used a newer version, set it up for German time, date and I did not get the errors anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back