Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

europe travel connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlee1

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
I have a sales guy that uses Europe connections as an excuse for not replying to e-mail. I have Xircom International modem setup in his laptop and he still claims connection problems. anybody out there have experience setting up a European traveler?

Yup. You need at least 3 sets of DUN. One for UK, one for most of Europe, and another for parts of Spain, Italy, and the (former) eastern bloc.
In many cases the actual modem driver must be changed, not just DUN settings, depending on voltages, and tones and/or dialling times. Some sytems need a longer pause between digits than others, and some need a longer tone than others, and some are simply set for pulse dial still. In particular the UK needs a different dialtone signal. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Yeah,

I have used the Targus travel connection pack

to allow me to connect to telephone jacks in Germany, Switzerland and Holland. They obviously have interfaces for a few additional countries as well.

But if this guy were the least bit interested in retrieving his email when he is on travel, he'd have already bought adapters at the airport. They're all over the place in the international terminals.
pansophic

Thanks, he's blowing me a line just to go wireless. I have used your info to keep him quite for awhile. The guy is also famous for not checking mail when he's home. One of these days his boss will finally heed my advice and have a nice little chat with him.

what does he want wireless to do? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

he's under the false impression that wireless is his "fix" for his connection problems. it's just another connection method and he'll run into similar connectivity problems. areas that are not covered, etc. He'll still need his regular modem card.

if they want to waste the money after it's been explained about 5 times, go ahead. I'm covered. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back