Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Euphoria as a substitute 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolpak

Technical User
Dec 29, 2000
US
This is an Informational Message to pass along news about a language (EUPHORIA) which has been around for a while but which I only recently came acrosds.

First the background.

I recently adapted a program I had developed in FoxBase 2+ and FoxPro 2 also to do some extensive genetic calculations. I had to examine up to 2^16 generations and so had to use dbf files because I could not size arrays large enough or keep as many in memory as I
needed. AS a result the programs ran very slowly. It took my up to 4-5 minutes to do an
analyhsis of a single pedigree tree for an animal.

Then I ran across the language Euphoria. I was able to rewrite all of the desired programs in Euphoria. On the same machine that FoxBase(or foxPro) took 4 minutes to complete an analysis, it is done with Euphoria in 2-3 seconds.

It is really a qutie elegant language. Highly array oriented and very easy to program in.
It does not have much in the way of I/O for programming but one can easily write the desired routines as procedures or programs.

I am now in the process of rewriting the programs that were developed in FoxBase in Euphoria. OH Yes, I should also mention. Euphoria is so fast that I did not need to developed any index structures to "find" records. Euphoria comes with its own "find"
function, which does a linear search as far as I can tell for a field in the records and does it really fast. It appears to be as fast a FoxBase's SEEK on an indexed file but I have not done any comparative tests.

The language is worth taking a look at. It is written for DOS or DOS32 (Windows). I have been doing all my work so far in DOS and have run my programs on three different machines.
A 166 MHZ portable with Win95, 180 MHZ machine running Win 4.0 and a machine with an Athjlon 800 MHZ processor running Win2000.
Aside from differences in speed, the programs run fine on allmachines.

Morton F. Kaplon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back