Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Etrust and Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2002
US
I was wondering if there was a way to have Etrust email admins when a virus was caught in Email either incoming or outgoing. With 4.53 this was not a problem but i have not seen an option with 6.0

Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Hi Eric,

Your Question: Where is the notification when a virus is detected in attachment in 6.0?

My Answer: The current Virus Scan interface provided by Microsoft Exchange Server only provides the attachment to virus scan agent. Detailed information about the email (Sender, Recipients, Subject and email body itself) is not provided. Thus we cannot send a virus notification. Hence, I would say it is not possible, however, this is due to the way Microsoft changed the Function calls. You know how Microsoft is.

I would wait to see if E-Trust 6.1 would handle this part. Let's wait and see.

Cheers!
Virus Baba.

Eric,

Just to add to my comments, notification will only be available in the NT/2K application event log.

Cheers!
Virus Baba

Hi Eric,

As of now there will be notification only on the Event log.
And there is no email notification. This is because of the limitation of the Virus scan API provided by Microsoft.
Hope this answers your question.

- Thanks
VirusGuru

I just amazes me to how when you do an upgrade on a product that you actually lose features the old version had. I understand that 4.53 used MAPI and it had its flaws as well. Just kinda counter productive to me that this feature was not better thought out. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back