Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet vs DSL??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarloRossi

Technical User
Sep 14, 2005
US
I have windowsxp(home} and I just recently purchased DSL and ethernet( install in the motherboard}. The problem is I can't access the internet it says cannot find the page. I had aol9.0 but deleted all of it applications{i could find}.The ethernet says it has been enabled and seems not to be the problem,and also on the dSL modem the ethernet light keeps flashing green.It seems as if you can come in but can't go out!! It is DSL through a telephone company to. What can I do??

Does the modem's DSL link light come on?

Also, you might have to register your MAC address with the telco. They'll surely be able to help you out with this.

WAS this a self install DSL or did the telco set it up ?
Have you queried the DSL modem with a browser ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I agree with franklin97355, it sounds like you would have more luck dealing with the DSL provider's tech support.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

If you are still having this problem, open a Command window and type IPCONFIG /ALL to see what IP address is assigned to your NIC by your DSL router.

You should also be able to see a Default Gateway listed. Try to ping the default gateway, probably 'ping 192.168.1.1' will work (I'm guessing at the default network, but it probably isn't a bad guess).

It is likely that AOL did not uninstall correctly and is insisting that it is the primary network. If you google "AOL uninstall," I think that you will find numerous people who have suffered the same fate at the hands of the world's worst excuse for an ISP.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back