Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet Sub Interface and VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkoehn

ISP
May 24, 2001
US
I have task before me that I am not sure how to handle this. I would appreciate any suggestions you all can give.

I have one 7206VXR with one ethernet interface and two Internet connections connected to a 6509 switch via the Fast Ethernet port.

I need to the traffic coming out of the ethernet interface to end up in different VLANS but since I only have one ethernet port the question I have is do I use Sub Ethernet Interfaces to do this?

How would I split this traffic into seperate vlans on the 6509 Switch?

Thanks in Advance.

Tony

Create your vlans on the switch.. each vlan has an IP range. Configure the FastEther port as a *trunk* Create the matching subinterfaces on the FastEther port on the 7200.. configure the port with the correct encapsulation that you specified on the switch for the trunk. COnfigure whatever routing you need to get between the vlans/subnets on the 7200. You now have the *router on a stick*

I have a link to a document from Cisco for interVlan routing.

At the bottom and on the left side. It gives samples and good explaination of how to do this in detail.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Mike,

Thanks, I will check your site and follow your instructions and see where I end up at.

Thanks

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back