Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet frame structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLarry

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2012
PT
Hello to all,

I'm interested in put, or create a new field with 10 bits on Ethernet type frame. For example, we have the Ethernet type frame were: and what I wont is to create a new Field with 10 bits length between the fields 802.1Q tag (optional) and Ethertype or length, ore maybe in other place of this frame.
I do not know if this requires a creation of a new Ethernet type, if exist a new ethernet frame that permit this (I think I have already read something about this, but Where I do not remember), or if this type of changes are possible in the actual 802.3 Ethernet frame structure.
Can someone give me some lights...
All advises and comments will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Regards,
SLarry

Hello to all,

I was thinking in do some tests in this matter, to "see" how thinks really work, do someone knows a Software (like a switching software or other), where i can make changes in the ethertype field or in the payload field on a 802.3 ethernet frame structure.

All advises and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Regards,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back