Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet Disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesBirch

Technical User
Apr 20, 2002
GB
Hi

Does anyone know of an Ethernet Disk that is available in UK that can be plugged in to a NetWare 5.1 Small Business network that will support some sort of backup using Robo copy or similiar utility. I have looked Netgears offerings but I doubt that they are able to support the NetWare file properties.

I can't resist: Netware 5.1????? Maybe time for an upgrade??? You're sort of on a technological deserted island in terms of new products and compatibility which will limit your options and not just in this endeavour (spelled especially for you).

Ahem. Not to start a flame war here, but if 5.1 works for them, I say good for them. I have many DOS utilities that are working just fine, thank you. Just because something is "old", doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Yes, but you run into issues that could be more easily solved with more modern versions of software whereas you have to turn over every boulder to make older versions do what newer ones do out of the box.

I personally would be none too pleased to be that far behind. Never mind the bugs that go unfixed and getting newer Microsoft operating systems integrated into the mix.

Oh yes, you do run into issues. Been there, done that. And I agree, I would not want to be that far behind, but if they don't have the resources to update, then I'd try to make what they have work.

I'm working on the assumption that since it's a small business network, they might not even have full time IT staff. The author identifies himself as a technical user - so I'm assuming that from that fact. And you know what they say about assuming - <g>.

One of the best things I did was convert to full IP. Once we got IPX/SPX off the wires, we saw a huge speed increase. Maybe they have someone on staff who could upgrade them.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back