Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet connection on Fedora 9 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Distribution: Fedora 9
Hardware: 500Mhz PII, 20Gb hard disk, 10/100 Ethernet
User Experience: Novice

I installed Fedora 9 on a machine about 4 months ago. The problem is that the ethernet connection doesn't automatically connect. It seems to come up disabled every time and I have to enable it. It doesn't always remember its static address either. Also, on resuming from the screen saver, it is disabled. Something is not quite right but I can't figure out what it is.

This is a known bug. I think it may have been fixed by one of the patches already issued, but I'm not sure.

A work around that I used is as follows:

su to root

go to system > administration > network

Type in root pw again

activate ETH0

file > save > quit

then type in "system-config-network" (no quotes)

Edit ETH0

Add default gateway

Ok > file > save > ok > file > quit

type in "/etc/init.d/network start"

Type in "/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 network on" ( that is 2 dashes)

Then reboot.

Hope this helps.

OldTechGuy

Thanks for the workaround.

Workaround works brilliantly - the only annoying thing is that the taskbar icon shows disconnected even when the system is connected. Just a minor annoyance but I can live with it.

That's because your eth0 interface isn't "managed" by the Network Manager.

To fix it, go to System->Administration->Network, "Edit" the eth0 device, and on the "General" tab make sure that the checkbox for "Controlled by NetworkManager" is enabled.

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back