Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet card ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwall76

Programmer
Feb 17, 2004
US
I have computer that has a built in ethernet card on the motherboard. I've lost my internet connection through that card. It's enabled and won't work. I tried to use the repair button to renew repair the connection without any luck. It says that it will not accept a network address and I can't locate any connection through ipconfig at command prompt. I took another network card out of an older computer and put it on the motherboard and I can get an IP address and have a connection. Is there any way to fix the built in card on the motherboard so it will accept an IP and connect? My thinking is that there is some problem with it, maybe shot. I'm not sure if fixable. Do I need to buy a new card for this machine, or is there something that I'm missing in troubleshooting the onboard card.

Well, you might have a look on either the website of whatever firm the motherboard was made by or check your docs (cd?) with the motherboard. or your drivers are not functioning properly that is at OS-level, or your nic is disabled in the BIOS. it depends a lot of your OS, for example. check everything step by step, starting wit the hardware: is there link connectivity (does the led on the nic or the switch lights up when the pc is on , if yes the hardware is functioning so layer 1 is ok, up to layer 2...reinstall the necessary nic-drivers in OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back