Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet autonegotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest92

Technical User
Sep 16, 2003
GB
hi guys,

is there a way to check what an ethernet card has actually auto negotiated to, when the card media_speed attribute is Auto_Negotiation.

thanks

gary.

It autonegotiates with the port of the switch it has been plugged in

greetz

RMGBelgium

Hmph - sometimes it does yes. Best to explicitly set it.

Mike

"Deliver me from that bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Most of the time I have problems when I set the 10/100 MB ethernetcard to autonegotiate. The best is to set the speed fixed!
Only when you use a 10/100/1000MB ethernetcard you can fix the card to 10MB or 100MB. When you want the card to run 1000MB you must set it to autonegotiate!

Regards

hello,

entstat -d ent0

for example.

Somewhere in the output (around 80 lines) you have something like :
Link status : up (cable and switch/hib are ok's).
Media Speed selected : Autonegociate (how the adapter is configured)
Media speed runing : 100 Mbits full-duplex (as it says).

regards,

thanks guys.

i understand that it SHOULD negotiate to what is set on the port on the switch but how do i prove this ? i.e. my network guys says the port on the switch is 100/full duplex and lsattr (on aix) shows the media_speed of auto_negotiate but how do i actually check (from aix) what the card has negotiated to ?

thanks letis and MoshiachNow......exactly what was i after.

thanks again..........gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back