Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'etching' text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggles

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
AU
I have AI9 - yes, I know it's old - and have created a logo (3 PMS colours - 110 [yellow] and 287 [dark blue] and silver) for a client which consists mainly of 2 cylinders (pencil-shaped rather than coin-shaped) and on which the name of his company appears in Square 721 bold extended in silver on a dark blue cylinder and the reverse on the other cylinder. (The yellow is used on another element in the design).

The client has asked if I can make the text look as though it is 'etched' into the cylinder. I have tried a sort of drop shadow effect by making two more copies of the text, one white (actually 0% of the PMS colour) but without introducing black I'm at a bit of a loss what colour to make the 2nd copy. And I don't think it's going to look etched into the cylinder anyway.

Anyone got any suggestions?

You might could do it if you changed your silver to black and just made the silver gray. THen you could maybe do somekind of a bevel and imboss type thing.

Chad

Yoderman94.com

This would be OK if the client wasn't insisting on using Silver as one of his colours.

your screwed then. Unless you do it in PS then it just becomes even more of a ngihtmare. I have created a spot color in PS, but it wasnt fun.

Chad

Yoderman94.com

After playing around with this for ages, I have decided it simply isn't possible to do in AI9 - perhaps newer versions offer some sort of filter that would achieve it, but I am not going to waste any more time on this. I will not do it in Photoshop, as this defeats the purpose of a vector logo. But thanks for your help anyway.

I have had (sort of) some success with this. I made the cylinders 60% tints, which allowed me to make darker copy of the text in 100% of the colour for the 'shadow', and the 'highlight' as 15% (0% was just way too light) and then displaced the shadow down and to the right and the highlight up and to the left, both behind the the 60% version and it more or less gave the impression of being etched (if you squinted). Of course, the cylinders don't have anywhere near the 'bang' of the 100% versions, but I have PDFed the client a copy and explained why I had to make the cylinders lighter in order to get the text effect he wanted, and await to hear his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back