Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/etc/printcap - runaway erros in syslog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivessm

Programmer
Nov 30, 2003
US
Hello,

I have researched this and found many comments concerning the print issue with SCO UNIX OS 5.0.5 but thought I would add something interesting.

Customer system is SCO OS 5.0.5 with following patches:
rs505a & OSS636A as well as others.

-rws--x--x 1 root bin 70364 Apr 17 2003 lpd@

Whenever the system is rebooted the syslog file fills up with the "unknown printer ???" error and the ??? are the last 3 letters of the first line of the /etc/printcap file.

The one solution I have found is to call /etc/printcap up in vi and add something to the first line, save it, which causes the printcap file to be re-read. The errors stop logging to the syslog file and all is fine.

I generally have a couple of days to do this because nothing crashes until the / hard disk becomes completely full.

The system's /etc/printcap file is:

# Remote Line Printer (BSD format) this
lp05:\
:lp=:rm=mainoff-hplj4100:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp05:
lp07:\
:lp=:rm=ps0:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp07:
lp08:\
:lp=:rm=bldg5-epsondfx:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp08:
lp10:\
:lp=:rm=bldg6-zebra02:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp10:
lp11:\
:lp=:rm=bldg1-hplj4100:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp11:
lp15:\
:lp=:rm=bldg12-kyocera1650:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp15:sh:
lp16:\
:lp=:rm=bldg2-printek:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp16:sh:
lp9:\
:lp=:rm=bldg12-epsondfx:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp9:sh:
lp25:\
:lp=:rm=bldg1-epsondfx:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp25:sh:
lp19:\
:lp=:rm=bldg1-kyocera2050:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp19:sh:

I would suspect one solution is to go find a newer SCO OS version, copy the /usr/lib/lpd program from it and place it on the SCO OS 5.0.5 machine. Does anyone think that might work or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

stew

I'd add mx#0: for each printer

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see if anything changes on the next system reboot. I guess if the system is having trouble with the mx setting, having it ignore it would be help full.

stew

That first line in your /etc/printcap is incomplete. Is there any chance you have some odd (non-printable) characters in there?
Also, all my /etc/printcap entries also include a "rp=" flag.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Motoslide,

The first line in the file:

# Remote Line Printer (BSD format) this

is a comment line. This is the line that I edit after a system reboot and just add or change some word in it so that the printcap file is re-read by the system after a system reboot. Otherwise I get the "Unknown printer..." error showing up in the syslog about a zillion times a minute.

If I edit the printcap file and make some change in it, even on the comment line, it is then re-read and the errors to the syslog file stop until the next time the system is rebooted.

I have read about upgrading the lpd to a newer version and will probably look around for a 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 box that I can copy the lpd files from just to see if that will work.

Thanks, and I'll look into the rp= option too.

stew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back