Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/etc/lp/interfaces/lpxx[97]: test: Specify a parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

antix

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2002
US
Hello,

I am getting this error on several new serial printers:

/etc/lp/interfaces/lpxx[97]: test: Specify a parameter with this command.

This prints on the top of every print job rgardless of if it is from app or command line. lpxx represents the printer number of six different printers. this is using the "dumb" script interface. It is only happening to these recently added printers.

I am not as versant in HP as AIX and SCO and had trouble adding these to begin with. My methodolgy was this:

I first loaded them as "spoolers" in SAM, then found the major/minor numbers for the ports and created /dev/lpxx then attached them via SAM in this manner "Add Printer with Nonstandard Device File."

they appear just like any other previous printers (I didn't add those) but these new ones get this error at the top.

Thanks Scott

/etc/lp/interfaces/lpxx is probably a script that parses the printer commands and options/switches. There is some type of test statement that the script is unhappy with on line 97. Take a look at the script and see what is going on around line 97.

crowe

I finally got it. Had to set up a sleep script to keep the ports alive. And miraculously, that line disappeared.. wierd.

thanks Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back