Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/etc/aliases and .forward - what is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stfaprc

Programmer
Feb 10, 2005
US
we have an address that is expanded out to several users. It seems that sendmail does processes the address the same regardless of whether the address is 'defined' in /etc/aliases or in the address's /home/.forward file.

The goal is to have the address's list expanded out only after the message passes through the system wide procmailrc, which I thought could be accomplished by using the .forward instead of an entry in the /etc/aliases .

A .forward is normally used on a physical account while your Aliases file doesn't require a physical account.

For example:

Your UserA and own the domain MyDomain.com and instead of creating a user called info on the *nix box and adding a .forward to UserA@mydomain.com you could just add the alias to the alias file.

So all mail sent to info@mydomain.com is actually received by UserA@mydomain.com

So how can I have the names expansion only occur after the message has passed the anti-spam guantlet ?

Guess I am not understanding what you are saying... mail is received and deffered to what you have in your alias's table to .forward which either ends up in a mail box or forwarded to an external address.

Procmail is at the users end meaning each account would be setup for the filtering individually or that is how I am used to seeing it.

So the process would be:

Sendmail Recieves Email -> Drops the mail in the users mailbox -> Users Procmail config sorts it

I don't want the address expanded unless it passes through all the rules that are setup in sendmail and procmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back