Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESX 3.5 and 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd0252

Programmer
May 15, 2003
how is ESX 3.5 for supporting 64 bit 2008 server and 2008 sql,, one of the tech build a VM,, and now it wants to lock up all the time? Ideas????

What version of ESX3.5? I have had 3.5U3 or U4 running 2008 without any problems at all in the past.

I would have a look at the event logs on the OS as well as ESX to see what the issues are, but as far as ESX goes, it runs 2008 just fine normally (but as I said I was using either U3 or U4 at the time).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Regular 64bit 2008 was fully supported with Update 4. 2008 R2 is only offically supported with Update 5 which was release about 6 weeks ago. If you are talking R2, you should go to ESX 3.5 Update 5.

I have recently inherited a VMWare ESX 3.5 ga (Inital release, I know, should be updated, and is on my list of things to do! :) ) environment, which has a VM running 2008 64bit, and Exchange 2007.

Runs very nicely as well.

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

I didn't say it could not be done, just that it is not supported.

It is very important to read the release notes for each version of ESX that is made available. The following link is for ESX 3.5U5 and the bottom of the page has a link to previous release notes.
I think the biggest problem with ESX is that people insist on treating it the same way they treat regular software. ESX is an operating system and needs to be treated as such. Just because you can run something doesnt mean you should; especially when it comes to supportability. Trust when I tell you that if you are running 64bit Win2k8 on ESX 3.5GA and you have to call support, they will tell you to upgrade first to U5 and then call back.

I now pass the soap box to the next person :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back