Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating amount of memory needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpicks

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
Hi all. I have SQL Server Standard Edition running on a Win 2k Server (3GB RAM, 2 x 2.4GHz). We are purchasing a new application and I am trying to determine if there will be enough memory available to add the db to this sql server box.

I ran some performance monitors and found the following info:
- Total & Target Server memory are both 1.7GB
- Available memory on server is ~1GB
- Pages/sec = .024
- Paging File: % usage = 13.5
- Buffer cache hit ratio = 99.8%

I'm just getting my feet wet with performance monitoring, but to me this data tells me that sql server is running fine right now. How can I estimate if there is enough room to add the db for this new application?

Any suggestions or references you can refer me to would be greatly appreciated!

By the looks of it, your server is running fine when it comes to memory. It hard to spec out the load an app db will put on a server. Here's a link showing some counters to monitor (most of which you already are),

A word from the wise, make the vendor tell you whether or not what you have is sufficient. They know their app better than anyone and should be able to provide you this information. Besides, it always helps to CYA.

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Thanks for the reply. Good advice on going to the vendor for more info.

Is there any way to know if some of this memory is not being utilized? SQL Server is holding 1.7GB right now, but maybe it only needs 1GB to meet the demands placed on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back