Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Establishing an ODBC / ADO connection to MAS 90 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note to all those who keep getting the error message ....

[ProvideX][ODBC Driver][FILEIO]Table is not accessible

...I was getting this for the longest time after I transitioned over to Windows 2000 - things were working fine on a windows 98 machine, but that's becasue windows 98 doesn't have the same security (profiles, run-as,etc...)measures like Windows 2000/XP.

What I had did to remedy this was alter the permissions that the server was running under. Remember, if you're working on a LAN, you probably had to login using a username/password, which is probably different than the username/password that you use to connect to mas90, which is probably different than the profile that your server runs under.

On windows 2000/XP, try altering the profile that your server service runs under... MyComputer->Manage ... select the service .... Properties->LogOn... and change the "Log on as" from 'Local System Account' to 'This Account' and specify the info that you use to login to MAS90. Hope this helps!

"[ProvideX][ODBC Driver][FILEIO]Table is not accessible"

I was receiving this message for so long then I found a solution that works fine for me under ASP using ODBC connection...
1.Download ODBC driver version 3.30
2. Make a system DSN by choosing ProvideX 32-Bit ODBC Driver. Enter a default User, Company & password.
3.Now go to Directory Security in IIS. Remove check under Anonymous access (the most important step).
4. Now you should be able to print the live information on Web under "LOCALHOST"...I m now looking for everyone's access. If anybody has some suggestions please let me know.
Thanks

The Method I mentioned should work fine for intranet. 1 more thing I forgot to tell is to use BASIC AUTHENTICATION method as it shouldnt work with NT Challenge Response Method.
Thats it...

I'm getting the same error:

But I am just connecting locally with a VBScript to query for a value. I am logged into the machine as an administrator and I don't know what I need to change to not get this error. Here's my code:

Thanks.

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
cn.Open "Driver=mas 90 32-bit odbc driver;DSN=SOTAMAS90;COMPANY=ABC;UID=USR;PWD=PASSWORD"

msgbox "Connected"
rs.Open "SELECT ItemNumber FROM IM1_InventoryMasterfile", cn

' *** I NEVER GET TO THIS NEXT MESSAGE BOX

msgbox "RS Open"
rs.MoveFirst

i=0
Do While Not rs.EOF
tempItemString = ar!ItemNumber
ItemString = Trim(tempItemString)
If i < 5 Then
msgbox ItemString
i = i + 1
End If
rs.MoveNext
Loop
rs.Close
cn.Close

OK, so everyone has been able to KILL the login prompt, but not me. I am creating a linked table in Ms Access. The Access table will link to a table in MAS90 using &quot;ProvideX 32-bit ODBC (V3.21)&quot; on Win2k with an MS Access 2000 Database. I have followed everyones suggestions to no avail. Any help is appreciated!

1) I created a System DSN.
Data Source Name: 'S0TAMAS90'
Database Directory:&quot;\\pcname\MAS200\mas90&quot;
Company Code: ABC
Default UserID: XYZ
Password: 123
Cache Size MB: 4
Dirty Read - Checked
Burst Mode - Checked
All other fields are blank or not checked.

After setting up the DSN and creating the linked table, I shut down the PC. I restart, open the Access Database, open the linked table (linked to MAS90, using DSN with default user and password), then I get the login prompt. If I click cancel (without filling anything in the login prompt), the linked table opens. This only happens the first time the linked table is opened. If I close the linked table and try again.... no login prompt appears. Please help!! Are there any settings on MAS90 which would cause this?

Try creating a user DSN and name the DSN to something different than the default 'SOTAMAS90'.

That should help out.

ABJ

I got some answers from ProvideX just a few minutes ago and wanted to share. =)

#############################################
QUESTION TO ProvideX - Best Software
In browsing the user groups other users stress the following:
1) The DSN UserID, Password and Company Code must be in caps
2) The DSN name must be prefixed using the Driver name &quot;S0TAMAS90&quot;, then
append your own identifier to the end otherwise MAS90 will overwrite your
DSN (i.e. &quot;S0TAMAS90_DEF&quot; ).
Are these correct

RESPONSE FROM ProvideX - Best Software
Regarding:
>> 1) The DSN UserID, Password and Company Code must be in caps

In the current driver (3.31 yescase insensitive. I can not say how it used
to be in 3.21.

Regarding:
>> 2) The DSN name must be prefixed using the Driver name &quot;S0TAMAS90&quot;...

Indeed, MAS90 generates the SOTAMAS90 DSN in run-time and it will override
the pre-created one if it has the same name.
To be safe, better to use different name for the custom DSN. There is no
requirement for the S0TAMAS90... prefix.

I still think you have a problem with the outdated driver. As I said, the
current version allows to establish a silent connection with no problem.

Well, I'm using ASP, I was getting this error:

I installed new drive ProvideX 3.3, and got rid of it for my local system..

but now when i try to connect through any other system it gives the same error.. it is working fine on the IIS server.. but for all other system it gives the same error..

We have two servers, one for MAS90 and one for application.

And with ASP.NET I get the error even on the server...

Can anyone help please..

I had given up on this until about 8 months after my last post. I gave it another shot and actually got it to work with iis 4 / asp. We are using the standard, actually quite out-dated, odbc driver.

I tried several ways to get the updated providex driver (obtainable directly from providex) but were using the driver as demo / development without a registration key (licensed or provisional) and as far as I know, there is a warning dialog that must be supressed when you are using the driver and this was likely the reason our web query was failing.

Anyhow, it is a mess but do-able. I recommend getting a test environment that you can play with (install from scratch, confirm you file & reg key pemissions, etc) if you still want to do this.

We ended up making basic web queries for SO, PO, and search queries for Vendors and Inventory though a good keyword search for inventory is proving to be a joke / waste of resources because the extended descriptions table has to be queried, concatinated (build), built into the main quiery including items which don't have extended description data and then queried according to the keyword search criteria for accurate results. We are only about half way on this, but look forward to an application / driver updated to help our works along so that we may do XML integrations.

Anyhow, hope the helps.

ABJ

Well, I wonder that it is working on my system, because IIS is on my system and I'm just developing on local system to test it... it is working at this system (with asp, not with asp.net), but when i try to browse from any other system, it gives the error...

Now what we should really do to get rid of this hell..., we are using ProvideX 3.3 Local Driver...

Should we have to use client/server drivers or... there is any security setting...or logon setting .. if so where ..for which service...

I hopesomeone will be able to help..

There are client/server versions that can be implemented as well but I don't believe they are required. In our scenario, we de do not want the client/server driver and have therefore only have the local driver installed on the web server containing iis / asp.

I think I ran into a similar error in one of my many test scenarios, but would have been serveral months back. I'll ponder over it a while & determine what kind of issues I anticipate. At a glance, your error seems to be with iis / security if it works on the local browser but not on client browsers.

I have not worked with asp.net and will therefore not be able to provide any feedback about that.

ABJ

Thanks ABJ, I'll be looking forward for your next post regarding this issue.. I'm trying to solve this whole mess of MAS90 since last month.. I hope i'll get something from this forum..

General update:

I learned today why my DSN-less connection would consistently fail in my asp application. I created a file DSN and viewed the contents using notepad to compare with the common method of implementaion. The first difference I decided to explore was removing the {} from the connection definitition so instead of;

mobjConn.Open "Driver={MAS90 32-Bit ODBC Driver};Directory=C:\90w\MAS90;UID=user;PWD=password;Company=ABC"

you would have

mobjConn.Open "Driver=MAS90 32-Bit ODBC Driver;Directory=C:\90w\MAS90;UID=user;PWD=password;Company=ABC"

That worked for me.

Just an FYI for those who may have experienced the similar issues.

Thanks for recognizing my post with a star sakbar. I will do my best to provide assistence, though currently you do have me a litte stumped.

Another update:

As per my experience, using the Sage/Best provided driver (not the updated ProvideX driver), my connection works with Driver=MAS90 32-Bit ODBC Driver BUT NOT with Driver=ProvideX 32-Bit ODBC Driver. They apparently may not be used interchangeably, at least with the older driver. For the record, I am not 100% what version of the driver we actually have implemented. What I do know that the driver is bundled with our Mas90 client/server (now considered Mas200) and the ODBC setup dialog title bar reads "ProvideX 32-Bit ODBC Setup (V3.00)".

Well, I have tried both strings.. with {} and withot curly brackets.. but it doesn't work at other computers

[sad]

sakbar, yes, I know, that was just general info for the forum.

Relating to your newly installed 3.3 driver. Do you have that licensed or is it a demo / trial? Can you confirm that no dialog boxes appear when you connect through the driver?

yes there is no dialog box appears, when I connect through the driver.. it just connects at one system without any error/dialog box..

Ok, the last thing I can think of / excuse as to how you can open your web browser to the application such as or and "browse" the contents of the database SUCCESSFULLY but then from another computer (workstation / client) open it's browser to and get the error;

The only thing explanation for it working locally & not remotly is if you have the server setup to use Challenge/Response authentication for local/intranets where the user logged in, when http-ing to the internal site is being authenticated and as this user, the anonymous user is replaced. If you have permissions for the anonymous user to access the database, then perhaps joesmoe of the "other computer" may not have access.

That is one scenario that I can think of.

ABJ

Well here is the setting for directory security of the application (virtaul directory):

Anonymous User... checkbox is UNCHECKED

Digest authentication for windows... checkbox is UNCHECKED

Basic authentication... checkbox is UNCHECKED

Integrated windows authentication..... checkbox is CHECKED
i tried by unchecking this box also... but doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back