Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Essential and Remote H323 Extns

Status
Not open for further replies.

94astro

Programmer
Jul 21, 2013
US
Hello Pros,

I'm having a real hard time getting one remote 9608 phone working on an IP Office 9.0.3 Essential Edition. I have no teleworker or Power User licenses on the system. Correct me if I'm wrong but even on Essential you can have up to 4 remote users without licenses right?

Yes that's right.

But you do need an IP licence for the phone to work in the first place.

Yes I do have an IP Endpoint license. I get as far as the log in screen, enter the extension number and password (which has been quadruple checked) and it keeps telling me "Login Error, Press Log In to Continue"

In the IP Office I have:
Enable Remote Worker checked for the user.
IP Route created with the host side's gateway address entered.
LAN 1 -> VoIP "H323 Gatekeeper" enabled and "H323 Remote Extn" enabled.
LAN 1 -> Network Topology Firewall set to Static Port Block, Public IP Entered

On the SonicWall, their IT people have ports 1719-udp, 1720-tcp, 5005-tcp and range 49152 thru 49252-tcp forwarded to the LAN1 address of the IP Office. SIP ALG is disabled on the SonicWall.

On the remote user's 9608 phone we have the public IP address of the IP Office site set for the Cal Server address. Phone gets to login screen but when I login, I get "Log In Error"

I'm starting to think it's something in the SonicWall blocking the connection, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Is the extension you are trying to log into an IP ext and not analog or digital?
Mike

What is SSA and monitor showing when you try to log in to the ext? Do you see a log in error in SSA?
Mike

What type of router you got at remote site?
I couldn't get this working with drayteks, worked with asus though

Calum M
ACSS

Did you setup an IP extension (not only the user) ?

I assume you did, but just to be sure..

94astro said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but even on Essential you can have up to 4 remote users without licenses right?
Yes you Can, but I would personal recommend against it.
opening up the firewall towards the IP office leave you exposed to all sorts of hacking unless you are very careful to keep everything secured (Complex passwords on all access accounts & users). even then it is easy for someone to forget this when they add a new user.

the 96XX handsets have a built in V_N client & do not need any additional licences to use it so it is much better to use a VPN solution that is supported by the handsets. Netgear ,Cisco & juniper all spring to mind as VPN solutions that are supported (Unfortunately Draytek does not seem to be useable :-( )

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

The home user just has a Spectrum cable modem/router. We do have an extension, not just user. The IT guys can't see any traffic hitting their router from the remote site, they now think the ISP is blocking SIP ALG at the main site, they're going to unblock it and see what happens. We do have everything password protected, complex, even the service usernames are complex. Thanks.

94astro said:
The IT guys can't see any traffic hitting their router from the remote site, they now think the ISP is blocking SIP ALG
I doubt that that would be the problem Not only is SIP alg is for modifying outbound sip connections so would not affect inbound calls, 96XX handsets don't even use sip to begin with.

it is possible that the ISP is blocking some of the required traffic however.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back