Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESEUTIL /P on Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kydreom

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have had to run a hard repair on our Exchange 5.5 Database (both priv.edb and pub.edb). Having completed the repair I get a message indicating that I should delete all log files on the server. Can anyone tell me which log files these are please (as well as where they are stored)?

Thanks

I would do an offline backup of the log files before deleting them. They might come in handy later.
If the Exchange Srver is optimized, you will find Exchsrvr directories on all of the server partitions.

Each Exchange Database (Information Store [public and private]) and the Exchange Directory have supporting Transaction Log Files. The Transaction Log files hold uncommited as well as previously commited database entries.

The Exchange Directory Database files are in a subfolder of Exchsrvr named DSA. If the server is optimized properly they will be on a partition other than the one where the databases are stored. If not, they will be in the the same folder as the database itself. The same goes for the Information Store Log files which are in an Exchsrver subdirectory called MDB. These directories also contain previous logs and checkpoint files which should be saved before being deleted.

There are other log files that are not mentioned here but Microsoft has a two volume white paper on Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recover that describes them well. support.veritas.com also has a lot of Exchange disaster recovery items.

Thanks for this, I will proceed with due caution.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back