Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eseutil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

twism

Technical User
Dec 30, 2004
US
hi all,

I had a question in regarrds to the information defrag/compacting methods.

I know that you can run a schedule and the information store gets defragged, I have manually defragged by using the command eseutil /d /ispriv for private info store and eseutil /d /ispub and i did this with the information store service running. This is on a test server , i checked the event viewer and the defrag was successful for both.

What i dont understand is that in order for this procedure to be done and successful doesnt the info store service have to be stopped? would there be a problem if i did this on a production server and did not stop the info store?

thanks in advance

It probably worked on your test server because there were no other processes accessing the store. You definitely wouldn't want other processes using the store whilst defragging a production store.

You should really have a good reason for doing an offline defrag, though. It's not necessary normally.

these defrag commands have been noted in various postings as risky for years; I'd definately do them offline. We have standard edition exchange 5.5 and we need to keep under 16 GB because of that. Offline defragging lets us know how far we really are from that hard limit- which crashes internet mail service when you reach it. I've defragged our server offline quarterly for going on 5 years so far and it seems to improve performance and server health. It is important to run the command line from a drive with plenty of disk space to shake the database out in or it will crash and leave a giant temp file behind.

so basically offline means stoping the info store services and then running the eseutil. i did that and i checked my evern viewer and it didnt show anything, now when i did it while the info store was running it should that the priv store was successful. the priv IS is the most important when using eseutil i am assuming, or would i have to do pub is store as well? i know that if the folders dont have much activity ill jus let the server maitenance do its automatic defrag.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back