Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eseutil Defrag Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctjohnson

MIS
Oct 9, 2001
US
I attempted to use eseutil to compact/defrag using eseutil. I have Exchange 2ksp3 installed on the C drive, with the OS. The d drive has the priv1.edb.

I have two questions:
1) The C drive and the M drive have the same statistics for used/remaining space. What does this mean? If I have the actual edb on the d drive, why does the M drive mirror the OS/Application drive?

2) The defraging operation failed with a "no free space" error when the C drive filled up. I ran esetul from C:\program files\exchsrv\bin, and pointed to the data file in d:\mdbdata\. It seemed to put the new copy/temp copy in C:\Program Files\Exchsrv\bin. Is there a way to specify the location I want the temp file in? There's no room on the C drive, and I want it to be on D, the same place the edb is.

Finally, is the fact that the M drive seems to mirror the C drive going to be a problem in the future as I get more mail and the private store grows? I thought by moving the priv1.edb to the d drive, all data would be stored in that location. Am I wrong? Why does the amount of space on the C drive factor into this at all?

Thanks for any help at all on this!

Correction: "I attempted to use eseutil to compact/defrag priv.edb."

don't run ESEUTIL from the C: drive.
c:
CD\program files\exchsrvr\bin
d:
cd exchsrvr\mdbdata
c:eseutil /d priv.edb

Hope that helps.

I think the problem you were hitting here is that the offline defrag requires 110% disk space as a new store is created during the process... (the data is then moved into the new store).

With regards to having limited space on C: you can point where you want the temp store to be created using /t this is documented in the following KB.

Mark

And yes, you can specify another drive on which to put the temporary files created during defrag.

Do not touch the M drive. Forget you ever saw it. Turn around and walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back