Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

escd wont update after installing nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyowl71

MIS
Sep 4, 2002
US
After installing a second nic card the system would hang at updating ESCD... After powering down taking out the new nic poping out the CMOS battery it would restart. It wouldn't restart w/o pulling the CMOS battery.

I have win 2K running on an AMR P6VAP-A+ motherboard. The motherboard has 4 PCI slots, currently I have a modem and an ethernet card installed. In the BIOS, under PNP/PCI configuration options: I changed; Resources Controlled By...Default: Auto(ESCD) to Manual. But still got hung at updating ESCD... on startup.

At first I tried installing an extra card that I have and when it didn't work I bought a new one, but got the same results.

What makes this all the more weird, is I pulled out the original NIC and put an identicle model in it's place and still got the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

There is a hardware conflict in your system - to resolve it you need to find a NIC card that doesn't conflict with what you already have in your system.

For example, I had a Linksys NIC in my system and then added a second TV Card (it's a long story) despite swapping the Linksys card with others from my other network machines the machine would hang at the same point as your hang -

I then got in touch with a local shop and they recommended a used 3COM 905b card (and to bring it back if it didn't solve the problem) - it worked!

If you post your full system details other people may have an insight into the hardware that could be causing the problem and possible solutions.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

To resolve the hardware conflict set back BIOS parameter "Resources Controlled By" to default (Auto) and try to install the new NIC in different PCI slots. Read information provided on screen as a PCI devices listing and check all devices and IRQ line used by each. Don't install the card in PCI slot near the AGP slot or other slot with shared IRQ line. If it is impossible, try to find the pair of devices which can to work together with one IRQ line. If the system not hunging up when ESCD updating and starts to boot, the appropriate pair is found.

For successful using shared IRQs this feature have to be supported by both devices physically and by drivers of both devices. If the system boots successfully but one of devices in pair does not work properly, try to find new driver for it with shared IRQ support. Most modern devices and drivers for it are supports shared IRQs, but some of them not.

I have tried virtually every combination possible with 2 nics and a modem. System starts fine w/ 1 nic and 1 modem, or nic only or modem only, but 2 nics - no go, 2 nics and modem - no go. I've moved all 3 around in different slots and different combos but it wont boot w/ 2 nics. The nics I'm using are 2 - Netgear FA310TX and 1 cheap Elements card that I've used in various combos.

Right now I am up and running w/ 1 Netgear card and the modem installed...both are on IRQ 11 as is USB and audio. There is also an "Other device" PCI Simple Communication Controller listed, using IRQ 5. This device didn't show up until I first tried to install the 2nd nic, now it wont go away.

If it helps...IRQ's 2,7,10 are not in use. However, when the system hangs at "Updating ESCD" it usually indicates that display is using IRQ 10, although once it did say IRQ 5. When I put the 2nd nic in it usually goes to IRQ 10 as well.

I hope some of that helps you.

Sound cards are usually set to IRQ 10 be default. What it sounds like is you have two NICS that are tring to use the same IRQ. They probably can't be set to a different IRQ. Some modems (especially Win modems are like this). Meaning they will only work on one IRQ. Read your documentation and make sure. Set the bios to manual and set each device to the previous assigned IRQ. Then try the new NIC on each of the others. If it does not work, try moving the sound card to IRQ 5 or 7 then allow the NIC to use 10. But it sounds like you need a differnt NIC that supports two or three differnt IRQ's. [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

greyowl71
Do you have the configuration utility for NICs? Sometime it's possible to run this utility in DOS with NIC installed and chande default settings in NIC's configuration flash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back