Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Escape from AMO Dialog on 9006 software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeb5110

Technical User
May 8, 2009
US
We have 4 Rolm 9751 Mod 30EX's (and a spare Hicom 300E). I have documentation on AMO dialog system commands, with one huge exception:
When at the command prompt >, I can't find a way to get back to the menu, or to cancel out a command. Otherwise, I've made
good progress with these.
Any help is appreciated.

But Joe, you called it a Rolm 9751!! You know better than that! I know that's probably how they're labelled on the cabinet. It's been a while, I think it's CTRL-D.

CTRL-X in the 4000 cancels an AMO. I know Ctrl-D exits linux/unix, but I don't think it cancels an AMO. I don't think Ctrl-C works either.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

Steve, too !@# funny! You're monitoring these posts and you caught me. One of these babies had an outage a few weekends ago, and the oncall wrote me to correct my database, that it should say 9751. I went to 178 recently for another problem, and see that these are badged as Rolm 9751's. 182 has a spare badged as a Siemens Hicom 300E. For the purpose of this forum, I went with the "proper" names. It was the transition time, you can go either way. I do draw the line at "Siemens 8000" or Mod 10, which some unnamed friends of ours say.
btw, Ctrl-D does take me back to the menu, thanks for the tip. This beats disconnecting and logging back in.
I didn't find anything that cancels back to the command prompt.

You're welcome Joe. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, just happened to check in yesterday for the heck of it. Glad you're making progress with those systems. Another not very well known command (but you may know) is on the 'real' 9751 (Rolm) - Ctrl-N to delete a line, or an entry. To get back to the command prompt in the 9006, I thought there was a Ctrl- something, I recall using it when making an error.

It was a sad time when the Rolm name was officially retired. I remember the newsletter coming out (on paper around 1993, before email) titled 'What's in a name?' From that point on the cabinets where printed with just Siemens Hicom 300E or Model 80. I'll never forget when one of the 'unnamed friends' said something like - "That Hipath system... since it's a Rolm it should be compatible with the new (whatever)" ! ! !

Hey! I had one of those big orange monsters with the 3-letter commands and the 8" floppy disk for backups! When we started upgrading in 1996 it was 9006.2 - a year later on the next one it was 9006.3 and dang near every upgrade after that went up a number. Try teaching anyone else how to do maintenance when there were 5 different ways depending on which box you were on, and in the case of 9006.5 whether it was the original or what I used to refer to as 9006.5A... All them useless tape drives, where if you cleaned them about 30 times they just might start working again - otherwise the things just sat there and worked....

Manitowoc, WI, USA

I think one of the few 4 letter commands was LAEX - listing of all stations. The 8" diskettes were a whopping 180k (or 160?). But what a luxury they were compared to hauling in a Techtran tape interface to backup the system or after going down and losing memory... bringing up the system. The big 12 volt batteries would hold memory for several hours when new, then it was a given after after an extended power outage you'd go on site to restore operation. Up until the fall of 2015 there I know there were still some in service.

When I went to 9006 training in 1995 I think it was 9006.2. I believe 9006.1 had no automatic utility for doing a tape backup,(UBA?) you had to backup each file manually. There's still some 9006.3 systems out there, I mentioned to those that service them those cleaning tapes are essential to have and use routinely. Last time I ordered replacement (no such thing as new) DAT drives, they worked with intermittent success. What a fiasco when doing a Unix upgrade and you'd wait and wait for a command to finish. Then you'd attempt to abort the process and eject the tape, but could not until restarting the system - only to then find the tape got 'eaten'. The DAT drives were similar to a VCR with a helical head I believe. It's SO nice these days to be able to backup a PBX config on a pc and other external media.

Yes, I love all the new backup scenarios - cloning the HD is an awesome tool, and then the remote backup location can be automatic as well in addition to doing the database dumps, which can be handy for other stuff from time to time if you need to re-partition a STMI board and have to first delete everything off and then put it back on! And then my Hicom 150 would backup on CF cards, and at the end it was hard to find them that small anymore!!

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back