Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ES-RJ45 pass-through Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinity306

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2005
US
Just got some of these off ebay to try and they are great.. saves a bit of time, since you can see if the wires went in correctly, and they also allow you to get the plug as close to the cable sheath as possible. You can use regular crimpers and just snip off the ends of the wires with a wire cutter, you can get 50 for $28 +Shipping/handling from telephoneparts.com they also allow you to order 1 as a sample for free
the crimping tools that are made for these connectors are $49, they crimp and trim in 1 step but are not needed. doesnt take too much time to trim with a wire cutter.

Just thought I'd let people know my experience in case they were wondering about these

It is not that difficult to get the same fit with standard closed front plugs.

yep, I've done it many a times, but these make it so much easier.. also to be able to tell if the wires went in all the way correctly without a magnifying glass or testing is a timesaver too.. usually Im pretty good at the closed front plugs but every now and then i make a mistake.. since i was out of closed front plugs I decided to give these a try, and since i don't crimp cable that often.. although they do come at a premium for sure.. that will probaly come down in the future though.. once other people figure out a way to make them without violating the patent.

I too have bought these for my techs. They like them alot. Almost imposible to miswire a cable now. I also bought the special crimping tool with the plugs.

Rich Purcell
Marathon Oil
Equatorial Guinea

It is interesting to note that the ability to see the wires grows dramatically worse after the age of 40.

So, this would make more of a difference for some people than others.

Not that it is revevant to RJ plugs, but it is astounding how few designers pay attention to this in general. I have seen a lot of connectors and other things where there was plenty of space for larger numbers/letters but the designer just did not consider this factor.

This is particularly bad on things that use raised or engraved lettering where the letters are molded in and therefore are the same color as the background (like on D conectors for example).

It is atounding how much your eyes can change in a 6 month period. My next pair of glasses will be bi-focals, biut I am trying to stretch some life out of my current pair!

If there are any young designers out there lurking - make it easy to read from arms length and some day you'll be glad you did.

Also, if you are going to pay to print labelling then don't use grey on grey!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back