Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERS 3500 - no dhcp to clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladcbv

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2015
RO
Hi guys,

I am having problems doing some of the basic tasks in networking, and I don't know if my ERS3510 (Ethernet Routing Switch 3510GT HW:02 FW:5.3.0.6 SW:v5.3.3.014 BN:14 (c) Avaya Networks) is broken or I am doing something wrong here..

So here's the deal.

I want to program ERS to have on Port 1 - direct internet link (so direct ip from provider), and the other ports I want to have a local network (like seting un a basic tplink router). So for this I know I have to create 2 Vlans... 1 for port 1 and 2nd for the other ports. I enable ip routing, I set up vlan ips for each vlan and I enable dhcp server for the 2nd vlan. now here is where i'm stuck, i don't get IPs from dhcp for the second vlan..
But when I create dhcp pool for the management vlan then I get IP from dhcp server.. .

I am not an expert in networking but ther's something fishy here.. Anyway, if you can help, please tell me what info do you need from me to figure out what's wrong :)

Thank you,
All the best!

PS: I hope I am posting this in the right place [bigsmile]

Can you post The vlan, ip, and dhcp config and a "show ip dhcp-server pool

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I don't have my hands all the time on this ERS :)

So I have managed, somehow to make the dhcp pool work.. i did the same steps as i did before so that's strange..

Anyway, now I am stuck at another problem.

So I have Vlan 1 - management vlan. Vlan 20 - port 8 - dhcp pool 192.168.3.100->120 with IP 192.168.3.1 and Vlan 40 that i have created for the link with the public internet from the provider. I have set up IP 92.87.95.53 and created a static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 92.87.95.49. Problem is I don't have internet for dhcp clients.. is there something else I need to do? this looks like a routing problem :-? because from 192.168.3.0 i can ping into 92.87.95.53 but not to .49
The gateway 92.87.95.49 is an equipment in our rack and not at the ISP..

I have attached a putty session with ERS3510 . I have printed "show tech" so I think you will have there all the info.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=26e16780-d29f-410f-ae06-699e7edee3d8&file=putty.log
The public IPs don't know the route into your internal network. You need a NAT device in between!

You should never ever link your internal network directly to the internet besides you want to be hacked in less than one hour!

Your router with 92.87.95.49 address needs to NAT the public IP to a private address.
You need something like below. Private addresses cannot be on the public internet because internet routers will not route private addresses.

Router (NAT)
Public: 92.87.95.49 (to ISP router)
Private: 192.168.4.1 (to switch vlan40)

Switch
192.168.4.2 (vlan40)
Static: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 192.168.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back