Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERS 2500 Mac Security problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

itenghm

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
SY
Hi all,
So I was trying to configure MAC address based security in ERS 2500, but I'm having a problem
In the manual they say:
"When link on a given port goes down or the Stack/Switch is reset then the dynamically learned MAC addresses are removed from the MAC Address Security Table".
that means: If I configured auto learning on a port and set the Max mac learned to one,and set the action to partition forever in my understanding when a computer mac address is learned and someone tries to disconnect it and connect its laptop for example then an access violation occurs and the port is disabled! but the problem is the switch will learn the new mac address because the port went down when the computer was disconnected and reset the mac address and the laptop is now allowed to connect to the LAN and this makes MAC address security useless?
How I must configure the auto-learning to prevent such thing?

Thanks in advance

Currently the only way to do what you want on the 2500 is to configure static MAC addresses.

MAC security will probably be enhanced in future software releases :)

Thanks for your reply
The thing is that using static mac addresses is not practical
cause we have a lot. that is why we want to use Auto-learning
But what is the point in having such a feature without being able to use it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back