Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errrr ! - Book in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

technickelone

Programmer
Mar 10, 2004
US
When I start a booklet project in word 2003 I can't seem to figure out why the back of each page the content is upside down. I think if it was flipped around it may also fix the sequential numbering as well.

None of the previous posts provide help nor google or microsoft. I need someone with experience. thanks

Technickelone
CCENT

What previous posts?

Sounds like a printer issue, but as you do not give much information it is hard to say.

Gerry

Hi,
I can't seem to figure out why the back of each page the content is upside down.
How many pages in your booklet?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Just a guess:

FOLD your printed paper output along the axis separating the upside-down printing, such that when you flip the folded paper, the printing is now in the same direction.

CUT along that fold.

You may need to fold again for the book spine.

Skip,
[sub]

Does your printer employ Auto Duplexing, OR did you have to reinsert the paper, to get the reverse side printed?

If the latter, did you do that correctly?

Skip,
[sub]

I haven't tried in Word but in Publisher (and with a printer that can do auto duplexing) there is a place to change it to 2 sided flip short side. I can't check that right now but it's worth looking into.

--
JP

@Skip - I think that JPaules was just suggesting another possible solution to the OP.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, had to leave yesterday, not used to such quick responses.

In word 2003 I set the page setup to book fold and the sheets per booklet to auto.
My goal is to stack the manual and fold in the middle with a center staple.
Just like a book. I searched for booklet but nothing is working like it should.

The first sheet should have page 1 and page 16 the other side should be 2 an 15 BUT they are upside down and backwards. Thats how all the sheets print.

Technickelone
CCENT

BUT they are upside down and backwards. Thats how all the sheets print.
I was lead to believe that only the back of each page is up side down.

You never answered if your printer has auto duplexing.

Skip,
[sub]

The back of each sheet is the opposite of the other, like twisting it around.

I have an option to check manual duplex but it only prints one page and its page 9. I put the sheet back in the printer and hit ok and nothing happens.

Technickelone
CCENT

This is quite simple.

Printing the booklet, you need to do the following:

Go to File, Print.
Once the print dialog pops up, go to Printer settings (It could be named Preferences). Set the printer to print on both sides and set to Flip on the Short Edge.

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
With the state of the world today, monkeys should get grossly insulted when humans claim to be their decendents

I have an HP lj 4250 and don't see this. Its at work and when I select manual duplex it prints a single sheet.

Technickelone
CCENT

You may not have a duplxer installed on your printer. To duplex manually check page 74 of the printer manual. Remeber to flip on the short edge.

If you don't have the printer manual, it is available here:

With the state of the world today, monkeys should get grossly insulted when humans claim to be their decendents

If you have UPSIDE DOWN on the reverse side, then you're flippin' wrong! ;-)

Skip,
[sub]

Skip said:
If you have UPSIDE DOWN on the reverse side, then you're flippin' wrong!

Funny Guy [rofl]

Since this is a printer I mapped to from the network I don't think there are drivers or software loaded on my pc to allow this. All options so far are not working.

Technickelone
CCENT

Print ODD pages.

FLIP the paper as instructed.

Print EVEN pages.

See if that might work, since your manual duplexing does not.

Skip,
[sub]

I wish I had the time to wrote a long winded explanation of how this could be done manually.

Unfortunately, all I can do is sigh......

Alll the info you need is within this thread; you have the access to the printer manual etc....

Print ODD pages.

FLIP the paper as instructed.

Print EVEN pages.

See if that might work, since your manual duplexing does not.

It may require you to be 'creative' and maybe have to reverse the order.

THINK about it!

About 15 years ago, without duplexing, without booklet options, I figured out how to print a 32 page booklet on ONE SHEET of 8 1/2 x 11 (a promotional mini sample of a customized children's book: finished size 2 1/8 x 2 1/4), literally 'flipping' pages. One staple and 3 gillotine cuts. So nearly ANYTHING can be done, if you can figure it out.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back