Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors on Installation of various WIN server OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

buehlers

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
I have 2 harddrives with many partitions. I have WIN2k Installed on the boot drive/partition (C:) Are you allowed to install a secondary OS to a second logical partition on either of the 2 harddrives? I have tried with WIN2kADServer and WIN2kServer both times I get the same error when installing from boot disks and a different but same error with the 2 when installing from within my 2k on C:. Both errors consist of a missing or corrupt install file. I have checked and the files are good.

You can dual boot Windows 2000. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I assume your Windows 2000 install on C: is working fine.

Reboot the machine with the Windows 2000 Advances server CD in the CD rom drive. Now boot the CD. It should detect that you already have an OS..but you can choose to install another OS on a different hard drive. Choose this option..you should be good to go.

If all systems are Windows 2000, you won't have a problem. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Thanx but I have aleready tried that, That is where I run into the problems If I try to install the second OS it will either tell me that Keybdus.dll or the ntoskrnl is invalid corrupt or missing. Im not sure on exactly what the dll is but it is keybd something.dll it's been a while since I tried I have even tried to install the beta versino of XP and I get the same error. could it be my motherboard? it is an older 550mhz aptiva not sure of the chipset though I can find out.

Was the first install a fresh one ? If so did you do a complete format of c: ?

I have win2k Server, Pro and Xp Triple booting no problems. If this is a test machine I would reccommend a fresh format and fdisk. Otherwise try repairing the first installation and choose to repair the boot environment and then try the install of the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back