Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors, No backup, going to throw the computer out the window 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbhaydon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2001
US
I have been receiving the notification &quot;Please mount media <blank>&quot; for some time now after our backup server has crashed. I am not familiar with arcserve as well as I would like, although I am not the one that set it up. I would like to do a reinstall so I could go step by step and do it right, but I have been informed that is a pain. Please if anyone can help by telling the the steps I can take to make a proper backup scheme. I am very lost, and going weeks without a backup is not very good. If anyone is super nice, I can provide them with my AIM name so we can walk through it together. Thank you for your help.

If you're using the GFS-system: Don't. Do it manually by not using a rotation scheme but just every day of the week.
If this not the case then check your backup options (the one next to the stoplight). On the media tab, check the third option 'overwrite same, blank, then any'.
Hope I was of help, otherwise reply to this thread.

I,ve had this same problem. I didn't set the system up either and Computer associates haven't helped much other than to point towards a re-install.
The way I get around it is to use the backup wizard to set up your job then in job status manager right click and select modify job.Then select the destiation tab and right click the tape and format it.When the format is finished click the traffic lights and resubmit the job. I have tried the append options etc and still got the insert blank media message each morning but even though this is a pain and you should be able to set it to automatically erase it doesn't work for me and this does.

I finally got it to work. It was a problem that made me feel pretty stupid, but it was a learning experience. The problem with me was the serial numbers for the media were not erasing, and I never did that. I would always just format, and leave it at that. I finally went into erase and found that I can erase the serial numbers as well as the info. Now I am getting some licensing errors, but my licensing is up to date, but Ill try and redo that and see if it works. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back