Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errors installing AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

generaal

Programmer
Jan 11, 2007
ZA
I have recently tried a fresh installation of AIX 5.2 (New and complete overwrite). I had a lot of errors during the installation. At first i got 0511-133, which seems to mean that there was a problem reading from disk. I then used a different set, but now all the mounts do not work. The fiirst error message i got: "error restoring base operating system". Does this error seem familiar to anyone?

I also received these error codes:

0503-700
0503-037

IMHO CD you are using is corrupt! Try to install from a Different CD set just to eliminate this possibility!

Regards,
Khalid

Thanks, the thing is I did try that, which is where I came up with the "error restoring base operating system". I will try and find another set from one of my colleagues

After 2 faulty CDRom sets, I'd begin suspecting the CD/DVD drive... Perhaps you need to update the microcode for that device?

Could even be a disk problem on the server that is generating the restore/mount errors...

HTH,

p5wizard

My apologies, but i do not understand what you mean by microcode.

I also think it could be a disk problem, since the reason for the installation is the /etc/filesystems file got corrupt.

By microcode he's saying that perhaps you must update the firmware of the CD/DVD drive.

It seems to update the firmware is a bit tricky. Is there any other way to complete the installation, because now it only boots up to 0518 (unknown boot device), and hangs at 0c20. As soon as it gets to that point, not even pressing the reboot button works.

The firmware level of this machine is SPH01316 from what i can see from the startup screen, and when i run the lsmcode command on other machines i get quite different output, so i am guessing it is very old.

It would help if you could tell us the model of the system that you are trying to install to, perhaps it does not support AIX 5.2 ???

Try booting from Diagnostics CD and check out your machine's hard disks. If all disks check out, you can at least eliminate that possibility.

HTH,

p5wizard

The system firmware should be updated.

Your firmware date is December 2001. If you are trying to install AIX5.2 at ML04 or higher you will need to install the latest firmware.

As p5wizard said you should also check the CD-ROM drive firmware, you may be able to do this from the diag CD but you will have problems updating it if you can only boot from CD, catch22.

Firmware:

Diag CD ISO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back