Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

errors 0x80042108 suddenly occurs in email. possible file corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineandwine

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
CA
I posted this in email issues but got no response hopefully some of you can help. I think there could be a corrupted file.
We are using W2k server and W2k professional sp4 on all computers. 1 computer has suddenly started receiving the message when we open outlook xp
Task' pop.lastpostfund.ca - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
In outlook express 6 the message is :
The connection to the server has failed. Account 'pop.lastpostfund.ca',Server:'poplastpostfund.ca', Protocol: POP3, port:25, secure (SSL): No Socket Error:10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
I have searched for solutions but can't find an applicable one. I have seen solutions with norton 2002 and 2003 however we are running Symantec small business 9.0 there is not an individual firewall and all the other computers on the network are reciving email fine. The symantec was upgraded from 8 to 9 but at least 2 weeks prior to this error and the computer was receiving mail fine after the upgrade until last Thursday. There are 6 other computers on the network with the same settings all are working fine. This computer is able to access the internet withour any problems. I have seen references to the erroe occurring after updating office xp. The last update was done weeks before the problem occurred.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure the above is just a typo but if it isn't then it is the source of your problem

Server:'poplastpostfund.ca'

There is no full stop between pop and lastpostfund

I've seen some suggestions that said stopping the scanning of incomming mail solves the problem. The reason I ditched Norton was due to the slow scanning of emails. Obviously not a long term solution but worth a try to see if it is the cause.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

I have seen the solution to stop email scanning. These are not for Small business version of symantec. I don't know how to turn off an individual users email scanning besides it doesn't make sense that this would be the problem otherwise others in the network would be affected as well which is not the case.

I tried a new user profile unfortunately it didn't work either but good suggestion.

Lets look at the checklist:

These error messages may occur if Microsoft Outlook or if Microsoft Outlook Express cannot establish a connection with your e-mail server. These error messages are frequently caused by one of the following:

• Incorrect account settings
• Misconfiguration of personal firewall software
• Antivirus software
• A bad modem
• Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size
• Outlook Express has been removed from the computer or the installation is damaged
• Your user profile in Outlook is damaged
• An e-mail item on your POP3 server is damaged

Steps to take:

For #1 (• Incorrect account settings) remove the Account information in OE. Recreate the account information.

For #2 (• Misconfiguration of personal firewall software)
Watch out for "hidden" firewalls in software. For example, VPN client software. CISCO VPN client is notorious for this.

For #3 (• Antivirus software) uninstall NAV 9 on that workstation. Reinstall. This surprisingly often works well. Remember that you likely have Live Update enabled and this does not always distribute perfectly.

For #8 (• An e-mail item on your POP3 server is damaged)
Can you clear all emails pending to be read from the POP3 server from a working computer for this account?

I did a local uninstall and reinstall of NAV 9 and it appears to be working. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back