Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

errorlog is not showing deadlock information

Status
Not open for further replies.

shari

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I'm trying to trouble shoot a deadlocking issue in SQL Server 2000. Should be easy enough...but nothing is showing up in the ERRORLOG. I've tried it on both NT and Windows 2000 and neither show any information written to ERRORLOG (with and without TRACE 1204).

I've checked Event Viewer - logs and don't see much of anything there either. If I run a dump command it shows up in ERRORLOG with no problem. I've checked the docs and for information.

Any ideas? Can someone confirm that 2000 is writing information to ERRORLOG when a deadlock occurs?

As a fallback I have a Profiler Event running to grab some information, but there's a known bug with it.

I don't know if this would help in your situation, but you could go into SQL Server Agent and create a new Alert on the deadlock condition. Robert Bradley
teaser.jpg

Thanks for the idea about creating an alert in the agent.

The Profiler Event captured nothing for my deadlock situation, but I was able to get the deadlock information written to the ERRORLOG by also turning on a 3605 trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back