Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error while transfering data to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanGlas

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I have been having an issue with SQL not bringing the primary key and the idenity with the tables when I upload them onto my server online. I am going through copy tables option. Also when I go through copy objects I always get an error about half way through saying can not copy from SQL Server to SQL Server. Oh yes... this is through the Import/Export wizard.

This same issue has been happening on two of my ISP's for my company and on two different computers (laptop and desktop). Does anyone know what could be going on with this??

Thank you,
Frustrated SQL Guy

When you copy objects and data from one server to another, you must choose the 3rd option on the "Specify Table Copy or Query" screen of the Import/Export wizard. The 3rd option is "Copy objects and data between SQL Server databses." The default options copy Primary keys, indexes, triggers, etc.

If you choose the 1st option on that screen, "Copy table(s) and view(s) from the source database," you will not get the keys, indexes, etc. That is the most common mistake made when importing or exporting data.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Terry -
Thank you. Here is a more detailed view of my issue. I am using the DTS Import/Export Utility. I am having this trouble on both my PC and Laptop. I have tried importing and exporting data off of the server and onto the server. I keep getting the follow error message, "Failed to Copy Microsoft SQL Server to Microsoft SQL Server." This error comes up when I choose to copy my objects over. The error doesn't happen right away. It show that it completes copying the scripts fine and then during the next process around 30% the error message occurs. After I click ok on the error message and then double click on the file in the "Executing Package" window the following pops up, "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The login 'stu' does not exist." What does this mean?? I am able to see the files online on the server fine and my login is not 'stu' but 'studenttraders'.

This has happened on two separate servers as well. We have two different hosting companies that we are using their SQL Server databases and it happens on both.

I hope that this gives a better idea of my situation.

Thank you!

I just wanted to let you know that the issue is solved. It was the DBO that did not have the correct username / userlogin.
thank you for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back