Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error while installing using boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc11

Programmer
Feb 9, 2002
US
I am trying to upgrade from 7.1 to 8.0 by hard drive installation method. I have XP on the primary hard drive, and Linux on a dedicated secondary drive. I have Lilo installed and Linux 7.1 is currently working well.

The following are the last few lines on the terminal while trying to boot from a floppy having boot.img raw file in it.

EXT2-FS: Unable to read superblock
Cramfs: Wrong magic
FAT : Unable to read boot sector
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:02,
iso-blknum=16, block=32
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02

I tested by booting with the 7.1 installation disk, there were no errors. I was able to get the installaion GUI.

Please help.
Thanks,
RK

First of all you need the boot.img for 8.0 because nothing else will work. :) If you are in linux when you download the image file then you can make an install boot disk with this command:

dd if=/path/to/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440

If your iso files are on the Win partition, remember to use the path to them as linux sees it.

Yes, I created the boot.img for 8.0 using the dd command. I got it by downloading directly from os/i386/images/boot.img, and also tried from the down loaded iso file1. I am getting the same error message.

Sorry for not being very clear before.
As I mentioned before, i did not get any error when I tried with the older boot.img for 7.1.

Hi,
Since I could not get pass by the problem with booting from floppy, I have downloaded and burnt all the 3 CDs and made sure the checksum of the 1st CD is passed. I am trying to upgrade by booting from CD-ROM, using the 1st CD.
I guess, i could overcome the problem I had with the floppy.
I could navigate upto the screen "Upgrading Packages".
There it gave the size of the total installing packages on the top. But there was nothing happening on the progress bars. Also the individual information about the Packages, Sizes and time of the total,completed and remaining information is all '0'.

It waited there for ever.

---------------

After this, I hit the reset button and tried to repeat the process. This time it hung a step earlier: After I chose the boot loader configuration as 'Update', and hit the next button, it gave a message 'Finding Packages to Upgrade...' and waited there for ever.
I could move the cursor but I could do nothing.

Can I get some help.

Thanks,
Ranga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back