Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when using Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlerg

Technical User
Jan 13, 2001
AU
Hey,

I've added a MediaPlayer component to my vb project which plays an mpeg video. I tried testing the exported .exe on a computer where VB is not installed and it came up with a .DLL not found error.

Is there a way of packaging the .DLL that is required by MediaPlayer component into the project .exe so that it will work on any computer?

Thanks in advance.

use Package & Deployment Wizard in Visual Studio Tools

Hi anhtri,

Thanks for your help, if I use Package & Deployment Wizard will it have to install the .exe because I'm putting these onto CD's and they should just run straight away without installing first.

DeepBlerg,

That is not the way VB works.
All vb program uses the VB runtime library and other components depending on which controls and references you use. There is no guarrentee that there libraries are installed on the PC and your therefore allways have to intall your VB programs. If you don't like that - use another programming language.
Installation of programs can be done by using a program to package the necessary files into a setup program or by manually copying all the necessary files and libraries and using regsvr32 to register them

Good luck
Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Please don't advise 'manually copying all the necessary files and libraries and using regsvr32 to register them'. This, if not done with very great care, is a really good way of screwing up a pc. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Peter,

You're right. It was not really to be considered as an advice, but more to point out that that's the only alternative to using a package and deployment program.

Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back