Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when trying to play DVD in Windows Media 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprunkard

Technical User
Oct 29, 2004
US
I am running Windows Media 11 on Vista. I just recently upgraded to Vista from XP. With XP I had no problem playing DVD's. When I try to play ANY DVD now in Vista I get an error:
Windows Media Player cannot play DVD vide. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.
I tried changing the settings and that didn't work. When I click on the Web Help in the message box it takes me here: The only thing that makes any sense to me is that I might need "MPEG-2 decoder" but, of course, Windows wants me to purchase it.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Are there any Vista Drivers for your Display Adapter?

You can see if the Microsoft tool tells you anything?

Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

Windows XP Media Center Diagnostics Kit v3.0

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Maybe updating to the latest DirectX may help?

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

sherlock-codec-detective

can you go back to WMP10? i do believe a few people have been having troubles with vista and WMP11 you can hear but cant see. you have new updates i take it?

All of the links listed are for Win XP. Will they still work with Vista?

Most will give you some information which might be of use.

This one may not, I have never tried it, MCDiagnosticKit.msi, the others I have.

My main concern was if you have updated to Vista Drivers where possible?

well i have WMP11 and mine done play movies just the sounds its a vista thing...

Well I resorted to downloading the decoder package that Microsoft suggested and now my DVD/CDROM isn't working. Under my device manager it says that the Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The hardware may be corrupted or missing. I checked for updates and it says the driver installed is up to date. I also uninstalled the driver and let it reinstall and it still doesn't work.
I'm really not liking Vista!
BUT after installing the decoder package the Decoder Checkup Utility says I have the MPEG-2 decoder!
One step forward and two steps back....

What version of Vista are you using? I was under the assumption WMP11 would only play DVD's in Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate or did I get some bad info?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

im using business N, you could well be right ArizonaGeek about it only being home premium and ultimate. ill double check on that.

I found my answer... after downloading a decoder package that Microsoft suggested to get the MPEG-2 decoder that is when my DVD quit working. So I found this link to delete the LowerFilters registry entry. I did that and POOF my DVD drive started working after reboot and I can play DVD's!
Thanks for all the suggestions. It helped me figure out what was wrong to begin with.

Post the link in case anyone else finds this thread, it might help them out. Glad you got it working!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back