Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when trying to edit Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

patch1117197

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hello:
I've just recently set up a Windows 2000 network. I've noticed 2 recurring errors in my Application log Event ID: 1000, and Event ID: 1001.

Error 1:
(Description: Security policy cannot be propagated. Cannot access the template. Error code =3.
\\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\{31b......\machine\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Secedit\Gptmpl.inf

Error 2: Description: The Group Policy client-side extension Security was passed flags (17) and returned a failure status code of (3).

Ive tried to fix it (Using Microsoft.com) but that just led me to find more errors.... (In Active Diectory Users And Computers)I go to Domain Controllers, Properties, then group policy. When I try to edit the default Domain Controllers Policy I get the error:

Inaccessible GPO - Access Denied
Group Policy Error: Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. I've checked all the folders and the permissions seem to be set OK. Am I missing something obvious?

Can Someone Please help me?
Thanks,
Rob

Yeah....I've already tried that and it keeps giving me the same error... If no one knows how to fix it can someone at least explain what it means to me? Is this something critical or can I leave it as is? All its doing right know is filling up my event logs....but i dont want anything to be screwed up in the future.

Hello:

I also get the error:
Inaccessible GPO - Access Denied
Group Policy Error: Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights.

when i try to open Start>Programs>Administrative Tools> Domain Controllers Security Policy.

Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back