Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when trying to add network printer in Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen3rd

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GB
We have an NT 4 domain with a Windows 2000 print server. Whenever XP users who have no admin rights try to add network printers they are presented with a dialog box which says: "There are policies in place to prevent adding network printers. Please see you network administrator."

There have been no policies put in place on any PC's on the network.

A work around for the problem is to logon as admin, add the printer, log in as the users and then they are able to add the printer with out any errors.

Has anybody seen this before and does anybody know a fix?

Cheers

Install printers on client machines using an account with admin rights, then change the security settings in the propertiy of the printer to give domain users rights to add the printer.

We need users to be able to add network printers by themselves due to the number of users and printers.

Everyone has full control of the printers but it seems that XP is preventing the printers beong added.

We are talking about almost 2000 users and over 100 printers so we really need users to be able to add printers themselves.

stephen,
i have run into this issue as well, and unfortunatly have not found the answer you are looking for. i am currently trying differnet settings to get users to be able to install printers themselves, as soon as i find the answer i will post. FYI my network is nt 4.0 server, with WinXp pro & 98 users. so the only difference is you have a 2000 print server, so if i find an answer it should be able to work on your end.

got it!!!

search microsoft knowledge base for document #297780... group policy shortcut= run gpedit.msc , worked like a charm for me! good luck! XP is soooo much fun, not! he hee

I will give it a go on Monday.

I didnt think i would be the only one experiencing it.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back