Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when table empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalhelp

Programmer
May 13, 2002
CA
To create a new form, I copied and pasted from another form that was very similiar. In the new form I changed the form properties to point to the new datasource (among other changes). Now when I run and open the new form, I can't edit any of the fields. I can set focus on the fields and can drop down the combo box etc., but I can not click to select or type. I get the error: "can't add record(s); join key of table 'new table' not in recordset". This is true, the record isn't there, but that is because this is my first time in, so the table is empty. The other form works when going in for the first time, and I have compared the code and can't find any differences. But I'm obviously missing something. Any ideas?

Have you any link master/chield field ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

How are ya crystalhelp . . . . .

Do the names of the controls on the form, match the names of the new table?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

PHV, didn't quite understand your question. I only have master/child field properties on my subforms, not the actual form itself. BTW, I'm in Access 97.

TheAceMan1, All the fields control source properties had been changed to point to the new data source. I know they were included in the form data source query, because the fields were appearing in the control source drop down box. Which I think what you were asking me to verify. Anyway, I went back to the query and just to be sure I wasn't missing something somewhere, I changed the select statement from select table.column1, table.column2, etc. to select *. Believe it or not that worked.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back