Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when installing NW6SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

webcrusader

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2003
NL
Hello,

I hope someone can help me out.
I've installed a novell 6 server and am trying to apply the nw6sp3 patch, but when I get to about 77% of the installation I get the next error:

---
admin

This username has insufficient rights to extend the schame, or the password is invalid. Please try again.

---

I am pretty sure the username of admin is admin (duh!) and that the password I entered is valid.

Anyone got a suggestion about how to fix/solve this?

"I am pretty sure the username of admin is admin (duh!) and that the password I entered is valid."

Not really a duh, the admin user could be anything. I would go into NWADMIN at the root of the tree and see who has been give supervisor access. You've got to have full supervisor rights at the top, otherwise it can't extend the schema. I would suspect its a rights issue more than a password one.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

are you just typing admin
you are logging in using .admin.thetree

I had this same problem. Tech had me run dsrepair a couple times until no errors. Then when logging experiment with variations of the full context name.
examples if your org unit = bigco ,and tree = pine ,context = home

.admin.bigco.home.pine

when I finally got it to work, I had to leave off the pine
.admin.bigco.home
or try
admin.bigco.home

That's a good point.. Sometimes it is frustrating not knowing which method you need to use. Especially with all of the new web based utilities. They all want different things.

But several years ago I started using my fully distinguished name for everything regardless.. .name.ou.o . It's just much easier than trying to remember which places to use which ones.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back