Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when deleting a network file

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggy0069

ISP
Jan 14, 2003
We are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 on our clients, and when deleting files that are stored on the network, we receive the following error:

Cannot delete %filename%: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that may be using the file and try again.

Yet no one is using the file, and it hasn't even been opened on the particular PC that is trying to delete it. Also when you access Server Manager, no other network use is accessing the particular file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Try making a batch file that would delete this file, then schedule your task manager to run the batch file when computer starts. This should take care of it.

The probably is, this does not happen to just one user, or one file. And it happens to myself, and I am an admin.

Here's the weird thing, if you immediately try to delete the file right after the error message is displayed, the file will delete. Microsoft said it might have something to do with SMBs, but we tried their suggestions to no avail. I was wondering if anyone who reads this has this problem, and how they resolved it. This is a big hinderance to our XP Roll-out plans.

Thanks!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back