Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error W3404 unable to open MSSQL7 open files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitfixer

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
IE
My backup runs fine except when it comes to SQL7 Database files, I get the error message;
"Error W3404, unable to open file (file MSSQL7\..etc,)
EC= File sharing voilation"
I am using the Arcserve 2000 Workgroup Edition and running NT4 Server, What do I do to backup these open files?

You will need to install the Arcserve 2000 SQL Agent in order to properly backup you SQL database while it is online. The only other way to properly backup your SQL database is to have SQL do a static dump of itself to a file and backup that file. We do this on one of our clients because they did not want to use the SQL agent.

The other files that may be in use will probably require Arcserve's Open File Agent.

This should resolve the bulk of your issues.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Just be aware that the SQL Agent comes with the enterprise edition, if you only have the workgroup edition and install SQL agent, it will not work
you will get an error message E12002 (component not licenced)

This is another thing they dont tell you when you buy the software

Here's another little note: Arcserve SQL Backup agent needs SQL SP 2 or 3 installed and also requires LO82875 (Arcserve 2000 SP 2) & LO82876 (offers support for backing up SQL with Arcserve 2000).

After you do all this stuff, then try incense and tarot cards because Voodoo doesn''t work. X-)

Hey ColinC77,

Actually, to confirm:

LO82876 - This is required to backup SQL2000. Versions previous to thins (LO82875) do not support SQL2000 but rather SQL7 and below.

Ciao!

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

I have tried installing LO82875 but Arcserve 2000 just crashes, I had to uninstall the whole application and reinstall without SP2, it makes you long for something simple and reliable that does what it says on the box

many thanks
F.Farrell

I have the same problem:
W3404 Unable to open file. (FILE=C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_628.dat, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)

I have the Open File Agent with SP4. Is anyone know how to resolve my problem?

Thanks

Hi,
I had the same problem before...

Just use a filter and exclude from the backup..

Or

go to regedt32..
hkeylocalmachine\software\arcserveit\base\task\common
IgnoreShareViolationsOn

Make sure that you have PERFLIB added there

Thanks,
baba

Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

hi fitfixer,

You can also download sp3 for arcserve2000 and install the sql agent from that...
I believe CA has given a full version of the agent with that
servicepack..

Thanks,
baba Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back