Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error viewing reports via the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvolden

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2005
US
We are attempting to view reports via the web using a Panasonic Toughbook. It is running Windows XP SP2. The report was created in Crystal reports 11 and hosted using Crystal Enterprise 10. When attempting to view the report on the tougbook we get the message "The Crystal Report Viewer is unable to create it's resource object." Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thank you
Justin

Yep, I can run it on other desktop machines as well. I beleive it has something to do with activex since if I open the report using the dhtml viewer it works fine.

Hi,
In order for the ActiveX plugin to work, it must be first installed by a user with, at least, 'Power User' rights on the client PC(using the administrator qaccount is better)..
Once it fails, it can take some effort to get it to try again..

(When logged in as administrator): Right-Click on the Internet Explorer Icon and select Properties ( or If IE is open select Tools..Internet Options) and look at the middle part of that tab..click the Settings button then then View Objects one and look for any objects with Crystal ActiveX in their name and delete them - Close IE..Go to the report site ( still as administrator) and run the ActiveX version of any report. It should now ask you for permission to install the plug-in.After you grant it,and it is installed, all users of the PC can now run the reports, not just admins..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thank you for the help, unfortunantly it was not the solution. I followed your instructions and there were no objects listed that would match, the only two objects in there were Offic Update Installation Engine and WUWebControl Class.

I have also cheacked the internet security levels and every thing there appears to be correct.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Hi,
When you went back to the Report site ( the ActiveX one) as an administrator, did it prompt you to install the plug in?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

nope, I just receive that message again.

Hi, Did you check to see if you have any pop-up blockers installed on your PC? Even if you don't think one is active, check any type of anti-spam, adware blocking, spyware blocking etc, software you have installed on your PC. Chances are the CE server is not being allowed to install the ActiveX plugin because it is being stopped before you are even prompted to allow it to be installed.

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

Yeep thank you. There was a new rule in the enterprise adware/spyware blocker we use. The rule wasn't allowing the download of the applet on any pc. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back