Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Unable to mount Blank Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

buca2003

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm totally new to all of this. We have ARCserve 2000. The backup we run at night should span over two tapes but when the first tape is full, the second tape is not found, and the above error is returned.
I've read through several of the threads posted on this issue but to no joy.
The job is set to use a group not a device media.
It logs into the database succesfully
All latest patches are applied
I know this is vague but I could really do with assistance.
Thank you very much

Hi
From Arcserve go to Manager-->Backup and then go to Backup-->Options
select backup Media Tab
Overwrite Same Media Name,Or Blank Mdia First and then any media
for Option for first Backup Media

also selct
Overwrite Same Media Name,Or Blank Mdia First and then any media
for Option for Aditional Backup Media

regards,
Mohamdr

When using a library you may not want to use the option to overwrite any tape.

Was there a blank tape in that same group?
BTW a blank tape is one that does not have a name. So even if the tape does not contain any data if it has been formated it will not be seen as a blank tape, and so it will not be used.

I'm having the same problem, and it occurred out of the blue. Last weekend, my full backup failed with a W3831 error "unable to find any media that can be used in this job". After the first tape in the group is full, the job fails. Absolutely nothing changed with my job configuration, the BAB software, or the OS from one week to the next.

I've since updated the BAB software to 9.01 SP3, and the problem continues.

I have set up the back up to run tonight. I am certain i will receive numerous errors which I will report back to ye.
Thanks for replying and hopefully we or more accurately ye experts will be able to resolve this.

well people shock horror, it failed!!!
It spent 8 hrs backing up then seemed to "hang".
The activity log at this stage read, "Backed up volume disk Quota" One of the guys informed me that it is just going throught the inventory time ( i think that's what it is called!) but then it will time out and be unable to load the blank media.
I performed all of what ye told me to do but no joy.
Any suggestions, please!!!!

It could be possible that the second tape is bad, ie. the media is UNREADABLE. Try doing a test backup to the second tape to verify media is able to be written to it.

I am having a similar issue. The job starts, formats the tape finishs the first tape, formats the second tape (sequence #2) and then I get a variety of media errors.
E3855 - Unable to position media, E3719- Unable to write to media, E6096 - Media Error, E3712-unable to close session.

After the job fails I can reformat that second tape and rerun the remaining files - so the tape is not bad as the software says. If I try to rerun the job on the sequence #2 tape without a format the job will fail with a media error.

I am using a Compaq MSL5026. I have run the Library and tape tools, the firmware is up to date of both drives, all of the hardware tests have passed. I just ran SP3 on Brightstor.

Certainly 50% of my tapes cannot be bad. "The New HP" say's it's Computer Associates and they say it's the library and of course I am tearing my hair out.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Nico

Nicopod...

Welecome to the family of disatisfied owners of MSL5026'S that are used with Brighstore/Arcserve. I have been fighting for a solution for months.

we had the same issue, and I'm sure if you do a "Quick Erase Plus" of the second tape, it will be treated as a blank tape and get used without having to resort to the option of "use blank media then any media". Completely agree regarding the ML5026SL, 5 replacement drives in the first year of use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back