Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error type -127 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwauken

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
I just initialized the hard drive on my b/w G3, and reinstalled OS 9.1 from a CD. When I tried to download OS 9.2 from Apple's website, I got a message that the download failed due to an error of type -127. What do I do now?
happy.gif

Try running Disk First Aid or preferably a commercial disk utility (Norton, Techtool etc)

John

Tried Nortons. Still have the problem. I'll try Disk Frist Aid.
What if I download the 9.2 install doc onto another computer, then copy it to a disk. Will that work?

Yes, you can download the installer to another computer then copy it to disk. If you then copy it to your h/d and boot off a system CD you should be able to run the installer.

I'd try and get your problem fixed though. It could be a hardware fault so upgrading the OS may not fix it.

John

Used to get a message error -127 on the old OS systems and you normally had to reformat the drive and start again if that helps. Would normally happen after running Norton Disk Doctor and it couldn't fixs the problem!! If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Thanks JC. What kind of hardware problem could it be?

I plagiarized this from elsewhere:

"There are two -127 errors. The one that is an HFS error is described as "-127 fsDSIntErr Internal file system error" (and probably the single worst error one can see.) If this error is present, Disk First Aid should find a problem with the disk. It is extremely unlikely to be able to fix it.

There is a Menu Manager Error -127 described as "-127 dsHMenuFindErr Could not find HMenu's parent in MenuKey". This error usually arises when a menu is corrupted, or after installing a program that modifies the way menus work"

Make of that what you will! If you've got the internal file system error then there's probably nothing you can do other than backup and reinstall. If it's the other error you could try trashing the Apple Menu Options Prefs file.

If you're only getting the error when downloading, it may be that the file is being downloaded in a fragmented manner, which can cause address errors. You could try iGetter ( which should solve this problem.

Good luck
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back