Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: 'Transaction in progress'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Nov 29, 2000
GB
I have an error 'Transaction in progress' appearing on a program. I do not have a clue why it is happening. If I ignore the error, it loops around again and carries on.

Is this a problem with the certain data being locked and therefore the program can not access it?

What would be a solution?

I have ran the code through outside of the exe and it runs fine.

Are you using a transaction processing... If yes
Probably, you are not ending the transaction but exiting it and yet again starting another transaction processing. When tghis continues after 5 such transactions(If I remember the limits correctly), the error could come. BUt whatever the limits put, it is not a good idea to start another transaction, when one is in progress. Also the exit out of a transaction loop shoukd ensure that it is closed with an end transaction.

Hope this helps ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

The only "built-in" transaction processing I'm aware of was on a Novell network using the functions in Netware.PLB (FPD 2.0, 2.5, 2.6). If this is not the case, then this must be an application message.

Rick

The problem below was referring to foxpro2.5 for windows. Does anybody know how foxpro 2.5 handles transactions and how this error may have occured??

'I have an error 'Transaction in progress' appearing on a program. I do not have a clue why it is happening. If I ignore the error, it loops around again and carries on.

Is this a problem with the certain data being locked and therefore the program can not access it?

What would be a solution?

I have ran the code through outside of the exe and it runs fine.'

"FoxPro help" says:

"A table, index or memo file cannot be accessed because another user has started a transaction that is not yet complete. FLOCK() and RLOCK() normally do not prevent other users from reading the locked information. This message, which scrolls from left to right to indicate that FoxPro is still active, was added for compatibility with Novell's transaction tracking system (TTS)."

Maybe you LOCK() record in one READ session and trying to read or to change record in other READ session or maybe Novell transaction tracking system shut-down.

Roni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back